Sunday, August 23, 2015

August 21 - The Carnage Continues

It's been 5 days since we began the destruction of the old kitchen. As an added twist, one of Matt's guys called in sick on Friday so I became the replacement demolition guy. I'm no contractor but I do know my way around a crowbar. I think I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself. Take a look at some of the shots taken this week:

This is the angled wall which used to hold cupboards and a counter. In the reno the angle will be removed and this will be the straight wall that the new Lacanche range will be against.

This was the doorway on the angled way. It, and the corner piece of wall beside it, are being removed. We will likely have to install extra support beams  in the ceiling to make up for the loss of the support in this wall.

This old door will be removed and a doorway will take it's place.

First thing Friday morning Matt and I took the first load of demolition refuse to the dump. Over 5,000 lbs of debris on this load.

Most people who walk into this room now look around and comment that they're not sure what part of the old kitchen they're looking at. As walls and doors and windows are being removed we're starting to get a sense of how drastic this remodel is going to be.

When I became the person removing the old lathes I got a real appreciation of how many of them are in this house. When I consider that we're only removing the ones from the kitchen I get a real sense of how many were used in the original construction of this whole house.

Ready for work. It was hot and dirty work for sure but I've discovered  there is a certain therapeutic value associated with demolition.  I may continue  with my new found vocation if the boss thinks I did a good job last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment